Re: Announcing branch: cachemgr-refactoring

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:42:57 +0200

On fre, 2008-07-04 at 10:24 +0200, Kinkie wrote:

> First thing, whatI already mentioned on -dev.
> cachemgr is over HTTP, might as well show that up. This is a very
> simple task but it'll make life MUCH easier for external tools'
> developers.

Yes, and somewhing we all agreed on I think..

> That's another very interesting possibility, but I haven't really
> thought of it. The data cachemgr displays are semi-structured but the
> structures differ quie a lot between one view and the next. If a
> common ground can be found, it'd be interesting to follow it.

Just forget the existing cachemgr displays if looking for structure.
Instead start from the SNMP data as Adrian said, and I also said earlier
in the cachemgr discussion. Trying to convert the existing cachemgr
displays into something more structured simply isn't worth the effort
when there already is a well structured view of pretty much the same
data in the SNMP interface.

The existing cachemgr interface is really only meant as a debug and
diagnostics tool. Data collection is best done using SNMP.

Enabling an XMLRPC view of the SNMP data is an interesting topic, and
would enable a whole range of new tools access to the Squid performance
counters and status indicators.

If there is things missing in the SNMP MIB these should be added there,
instead of trying to invent new structures for this data.