Re: Announcing branch: cachemgr-refactoring

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:24:15 +0200

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> 2008/7/4 Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Which side of cachemgr have you been refactoring? cachemgr.cgi,
>>> squidclient, or the internal component?
>>
>> Internal component (CacheManager.h and cache_manager.cc, but also
>> touching various other places such as main.cc and changing the module
>> initialization structure).
>> The eventual aim is to also enable the development of cachemgr.js and
>> to make the development of cachemgr.php easier.
>
> Hm, what would the long-term plan for how this should look like?

First thing, whatI already mentioned on -dev.
cachemgr is over HTTP, might as well show that up. This is a very
simple task but it'll make life MUCH easier for external tools'
developers. I'd like to use as a timeframe: 3.1 (if I make it in time)
alias the entry point to to HTTP and deprecate the old address, 3.2
remove the cache_object scheme and just go http, filtering on
visibile_hostname or somesuch.

> I've always really disliked where cachemgr ended up - its not really a
> cache manager, more like a simple way of getting cache statistics. I
> was thinking what would be needed for a more useful web front-end; it
> might be more sensible to tidy up the SNMP registration code and
> create some AJAX-y ways of gathering those sorts of statistics - ie,
> have HTTP and SNMP front-ends for the same data backend.

That's another very interesting possibility, but I haven't really
thought of it. The data cachemgr displays are semi-structured but the
structures differ quie a lot between one view and the next. If a
common ground can be found, it'd be interesting to follow it.
Even in HTTP it would be interesting to allow for different views:
plain-text (legacy, but not only) but also some (xmlrpc?) webservice
would be very interesting.
Let me finish the current work, then we could have a session over IRC
dedicated to designing how the thing should look like.

If there's anyone else interested in pitching in ideas please let me
know so that we may try to have everyone live. Follow-up discussions
can be over a Feature wiki page.

> I might end up doing that in Cacheboy.

Up to you of course :)

--