Re: [MERGE] Closing branch cachemgr-refactoring

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:28:54 +0200

On tis, 2008-07-15 at 23:42 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 23:37 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > For the record. Robert your method of merge did eventually work. It
> > seems I was just too impatient with my first attempt.
> >
> > The URL merge from launchpad just took me an hour to complete. Before
> > any of the testing began.
>
> That sounds funny; what commands did you use to do this? (it should only
> have had a few hundred K to download to work ...)

The readv over http one at a time with no pipelining gets quite slow
when there is even a little bit of latency. It's not the bandwidth being
the main bottleneck for bzr operations, except maybe when one is doing
an initial pull of a repository without using a local shared repository
already having most of the data..

I do have a feeling the bzr index reading procedure for finding the
common parent has a major error somewhere, probably wandering off
reading lots of random remote stuff it doesn't really need. Seems to
need way too many roundtrips even when there is only very small number
of changesets to query for.. A thought is that perhaps it has got the
remote/local site of the equation wrong..