Re: intercepting streams

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:19:46 +1200

Michael Kaplan wrote:
> Is there a mechanism within Squid that will allow me to send a message
> back to the host, almost like a redirect. For example, if I spot some
> misuse of the http header, I'd like to send an html reply to the host
> appearing in the browser saying something to the effect of , 'this
> header contained the following erroneous data: blah'
>
> Mike

You mean like a proxy error page?

Squid already does that for a lot of things that it knows about. The
problem is that web traffic can have a lot of different things, in a lot
of places and its often best to ignore header content that is known.

For example, look back at the long history of complaints for squid
giving "Unknown Request Method". All because someone thought it would be
a good design to validate only the request methods in the HTTP RFC.