Re: Environment to build a squid helper

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:22:23 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 04.16 13/08/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>On tis, 2008-08-12 at 22:10 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
>
> > Yes, the resulting feel is not so good ....
>
>I am attemting an MSYS install with the goal of being able to build
>squid-3 (and 2) just to see how it fares.. Initial results isn't too
>bad, but the GCC version I installed (4.3.1) barfs a bit about various
>crap in the Squid code..

I'm using the "Current" toolchain, with the addition of some package
from the mingwPORT collection (autoconf, automake, libtool, libicon,
zlib) and msysDTK-1.0.1.

>Most annoying is that the semantics of "extern inline" seems to have
>changed making it fail to link due to new(int) being multiply defined..
>not 100% sure how to best fix this.. the choices are either drop the
>extern part from "extern inline" or add a gcc function attribute making
>gcc 4.3+ compile "extern inline" the "gnu-way" instead of the current
>"C99 standard-way"..
>
>At the moment I have plain builds of Squid-2 & Squid-3 compiling, but
>have not yet tested them.. got a little confused by the msys path
>translation at first and the binaries didn't like very well that the
>configure prefix was a translated path.. and something is wrong with the
>errorpages default path.. include/autoconf.h says
> #define DEFAULT_SQUID_DATA_DIR "${datarootdir}"
>
>autoconf documentation says clearly to never refer to these variables
>outside Makefile.. and that we should send them using a -D define if
>needed in the binary..
>
>Hmm.. Building Squid with MSYS has it's issues.. some compiled paths
>gets translated, some not.. specifically any paths in -D compiler
>defines such as the default config file path gets translated. I guess
>that mingw make needs to be used to avoid this.

Look to Squid 2.6 release notes, there is a section a called
"Building Squid on Windows" that could help you. I'have just seen now
that this section is missing from 2.7 release notes, while I think
that it should be still included. Same thing for both Squid-3 STABLE and HEAD.

>Also I haven't found an mingw openssl library (only an MSYS version)..
>Seems I will need to install openssl from source..
>
>What openssl library are you using for the Windows build?

I use the binaries from Shining Light Productions:
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

>But at least my laptop has showed me that it has a boost level on the
>CPU fan.

If you want a more big boost, try to build using Cygwin: is really a
CPU (h)eater .... :-)

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/