Re: Environment to build a squid helper

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:16:40 +0200

On tis, 2008-08-12 at 22:10 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:

> Yes, the resulting feel is not so good ....

I am attemting an MSYS install with the goal of being able to build
squid-3 (and 2) just to see how it fares.. Initial results isn't too
bad, but the GCC version I installed (4.3.1) barfs a bit about various
crap in the Squid code..

Most annoying is that the semantics of "extern inline" seems to have
changed making it fail to link due to new(int) being multiply defined..
not 100% sure how to best fix this.. the choices are either drop the
extern part from "extern inline" or add a gcc function attribute making
gcc 4.3+ compile "extern inline" the "gnu-way" instead of the current
"C99 standard-way"..

At the moment I have plain builds of Squid-2 & Squid-3 compiling, but
have not yet tested them.. got a little confused by the msys path
translation at first and the binaries didn't like very well that the
configure prefix was a translated path.. and something is wrong with the
errorpages default path.. include/autoconf.h says
  #define DEFAULT_SQUID_DATA_DIR "${datarootdir}"

autoconf documentation says clearly to never refer to these variables
outside Makefile.. and that we should send them using a -D define if
needed in the binary..

Hmm.. Building Squid with MSYS has it's issues.. some compiled paths
gets translated, some not.. specifically any paths in -D compiler
defines such as the default config file path gets translated. I guess
that mingw make needs to be used to avoid this.

Also I haven't found an mingw openssl library (only an MSYS version)..
Seems I will need to install openssl from source..

What openssl library are you using for the Windows build?

But at least my laptop has showed me that it has a boost level on the
CPU fan.