Re: Environment to build a squid helper

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:10:46 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 21.43 12/08/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>On tis, 2008-08-12 at 21:29 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure of all the effects of the switch to a new Visual Studio
> > version, I'm sure of the following:
> > - A new C runtime, not provided with Windows 2000, XP and 2003, is
> > needed, so a Windows setup program may be needed
>
>Isn't there a separate installer available for the runtime?

Sure, but I think that an integrated setup could be better for many
Windows people .... :-)

>Personally I prefer seeing MinGW+MSYS as the primary platform if
>possible, even if most Windows developers is more used to Visual
>Studio.. There is a lot of benefits in keeping the build environments as
>common as possible across the platforms.

I agree, a common environment is a good foundation. MinGW is also
available on Debian, so in theory a cross platform build could be possible.

On the Visual Studio side, I think that old Visual Studio 6 is really
a good build environment for Squid-2, but I'm not sure of the same
thing regarding the newer versions, may be that MSYS + MinGW could be
really better.

>Been looking into MinGW+MSYS in the last days from this thread and it's
>status reminds me a bit of Squid-3 in the last years.. way overdue for
>the next bundle release with any serious development dependent on
>versions currently flagged as testing/unstable.. That project would
>really benefit a lot if they switched to the Cygwin installer giving the
>user better access to the available components and updates..

Yes, the resulting feel is not so good ....

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/