Re: Environment to build a squid helper

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:43:49 +0200

On tis, 2008-08-12 at 21:29 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:

> I'm not sure of all the effects of the switch to a new Visual Studio
> version, I'm sure of the following:
> - A new C runtime, not provided with Windows 2000, XP and 2003, is
> needed, so a Windows setup program may be needed

Isn't there a separate installer available for the runtime?

> - The import of the old 6.0 project into a new Visual Studio is not
> a painless thing, so a significative effort is needed ... :-(

Pain.

> But I'have a really big doubt about the new C Runtime: I'm still
> suspecting that the majority of Squid-3 problems on Windows are
> related to some internal changes: some simple testing using MSYS +
> MinGW is giving very good results while the Visual Studio 2005 build
> crashes after few request.

Personally I prefer seeing MinGW+MSYS as the primary platform if
possible, even if most Windows developers is more used to Visual
Studio.. There is a lot of benefits in keeping the build environments as
common as possible across the platforms.

> Unfortunately, this specific helper cannot be compiled using MinGW,
> because the needed header and library definitions are missing in the
> current version .... :-(

:-(

> I hope in the future to have the time to provide a patch to the MinGW project.

:-)

Been looking into MinGW+MSYS in the last days from this thread and it's
status reminds me a bit of Squid-3 in the last years.. way overdue for
the next bundle release with any serious development dependent on
versions currently flagged as testing/unstable.. That project would
really benefit a lot if they switched to the Cygwin installer giving the
user better access to the available components and updates..