Re: Environment to build a squid helper

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:29:38 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 23.45 11/08/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>Unfortunately there is only Guido woring on his sparetime (the little he
>have) on the Windows port of Squid, which means there is very limited
>support for Visual Studio. For some reason using later versions does not
>work out well and is why Squid is still using that old and now
>end-of-life compiler version. It is unclear to me if that's due to Squid
>or oddness of Visual Studio triggered by Squid..

There are many reasons for this.

The main reason is probably the Squid-3 development problems and the
Squid-2 extended life:
If you remember, already during the Stockholm Code Sprint in December
2004, the development of Squid-3 on Windows was switched to Visual
Studio 2005 (still at RC release level at the Sprint time), while all
the Squid-2 environment was left untouched, because no more Squid-2
development was planned during the Sprint.

But things changes: so during 2006 we have Squid 2.6 and now Squid
2.7, both still using Visual Studio 6.

I'm not sure of all the effects of the switch to a new Visual Studio
version, I'm sure of the following:
- A new C runtime, not provided with Windows 2000, XP and 2003, is
needed, so a Windows setup program may be needed
- The import of the old 6.0 project into a new Visual Studio is not
a painless thing, so a significative effort is needed ... :-(

But I'have a really big doubt about the new C Runtime: I'm still
suspecting that the majority of Squid-3 problems on Windows are
related to some internal changes: some simple testing using MSYS +
MinGW is giving very good results while the Visual Studio 2005 build
crashes after few request.

I agree that it will better to support a free Visual Studio Express
version (2005 or 2008), even if I hate the new Visual Studio
environments because they are very heavy, slow and big, while the old
Visual Studio 6 is really light.

However, Visual Studio 6 is still not so hard to find: any Windows
developer that in the past have subscribed the Microsoft Developer
Network (MSDN) own a legal copy of it.

>But it should build just fine in MinGW+MSYS.

Unfortunately, this specific helper cannot be compiled using MinGW,
because the needed header and library definitions are missing in the
current version .... :-(

I hope in the future to have the time to provide a patch to the MinGW project.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/