Re: [MERGE] WCCPv2 Config Cleanup

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:44:43 +1200

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> 2008/9/13 Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
>
>> This one was easy and isolated, so I went and did it early.
>> It's back-compatible, so people don't have to use the new names if they
>> like. But its clearer for the newbies until the big cleanup you mention
>> below is stable.
>
> Well, the newbies still need to know about the different kinds of
> redirection/assignment methods;

True. This update does not change that either. Merely makes a
comment-free squid.conf wccp config more readable. So they don't have to
known the binary-level values of fields.

> what would be nice is if it were
> mostly autonegotiated per-host per-service group, and if wccp2d could
> setup/teardown the GRE tunnels as required.

Of course. But the current code is not, and the code that might be is a
log way off.

>>> The WCCPv2 stuff works fine (for what it does); it could do with some
>>> better documentation but what it really needs is to be broken out from
>>> Squid itself and run as a seperate daemon.
>>>
>> I've been waiting most of a year for your work on that direction in Squid-2
>> to be ported over. There does not appear to be any sign of it happening in
>> time for 3.1.
>> The rest of us are largely concentrating on cleaning other components.
>
> I still haven't done all that much with the WCCPv2 stuff yet. I'll be
> breaking out the source code in Cacheboy after I finish the next set
> of IPv6 changes; the wccp2d code will then use the config registry
> type stuff we've discussed and reuse the core code for comms,
> debugging, logging, etc.

Then its got to be re-worked into Squid-3 shared code. I still don't
think you are going to be finished this year. You said the same thing
months ago before you started any of the modulation work on Cacheboy.

Meanwhile 3.1 is going to be out. WCCP code cleanup isn't on the books
for it. I'd like it at least a little easier to use.