[RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 03:26:43 +1200

please, please, please, lets get this done before any more functionality
features make it into HEAD. Yeah, I know, I'm still throwing merge
requests for functionality around myself.

The old blocker issues were:

"
## I thought you and Alex had thrashed that all out to understanding
## weeks back? At least as far as I followed the thread it all made
## sense.

We got to the point where there was understanding why this new family of
races occur, but not sure about the resolution.. and pretty sure nothing
has been done about it.
"

Done now with the Sept-11 commits?

"
### A way of making the code a bit deterministic?

Unlike the earlier recursion race the asynccall timing race is a bit of
a nightmare to debug postmortem.. which will very likely cause many gray
hairs while trying to analyze debug reports..
"

Is this cleared now Henrik?

Others on the TODO:

### eCAP

   Alex is this really, really needed in 3.1 or is it okay pushed to
early 3.2?

### Code formatting

   A few issues still to be sorted out. Nothing major though. The
majority of HEAD can be formatted in an hour or so notice.

  - todo: make existing scripts recursive over entire sources.
  - how to automate for commit enforcement in bzr
  - how to fix access_log.cc output (maybe others with same issue)
  - work pattern for propagation to branches.

### source layout

   Not a blocker for the branch. Though Alex if you wanted to get in
touch about the exact plan of attack I'll make the time to help out here.

### bug zapping

   New Critical ones are now dead.
   Only important ones now are shared with 3.0.