Re: [RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:56:24 +0200

On tor, 2008-09-25 at 03:32 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> I only have one question: how well does that release numbering model
> match the other OSS projects using the same numbering system? We don't
> want to set our own method and meaning when there is already a common
> way to get confused with.

Numeric numbering with 0 as "beta" is used by many packaging schemes,
and would not confuse anyone.

I am positive on getting rid of the labels and use the scheme proposed
by Kinkie.

To answer Alex regarding the RC (Release Candidate) this is not a
release tag in itself. It's more of a temporary flag. It has also used
between STABLE releases if there has been large or packaging changes,
and those releases is not announced outside squid-dev or visible on the
web site.

Regard
Henrik