Re: [RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:56:27 -0600

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 20:56 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tor, 2008-09-25 at 03:32 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
> > I only have one question: how well does that release numbering model
> > match the other OSS projects using the same numbering system? We don't
> > want to set our own method and meaning when there is already a common
> > way to get confused with.
>
> Numeric numbering with 0 as "beta" is used by many packaging schemes,
> and would not confuse anyone.
>
> I am positive on getting rid of the labels and use the scheme proposed
> by Kinkie.

Cool. So, if there are no objections, we have:

0) Trunk is usually open for new stuff. Make daily snapshots.
1) Branch X.Y when major features are committed. Snapshots.
2a) Release X.Y.0.0 when all major bugs are fixed.
2b) Release X.Y.0.w as code gets better, w >= 1.
3a) Release X.Y.1 when the last X.Y.0.w was "stable". Mark branch as stable.
3b) Release X.Y.z as bugs get fixed, z > 1.

If needed, flag any snapshot or numbered version as Release Candidate.
These flags do not affect the version number.

> To answer Alex regarding the RC (Release Candidate) this is not a
> release tag in itself. It's more of a temporary flag. It has also used
> between STABLE releases if there has been large or packaging changes,
> and those releases is not announced outside squid-dev or visible on the
> web site.

Sounds good.

Thank you,

Alex.