Re: Why not BerkeleyDB based object store?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:55:13 -0700

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 06:31 -0800, Pablo Rosatti wrote:

> Hi, there's any Squid project related to change the filesystem to
> BerkeleyDB based one-file object store as in Oops Proxy, Squid Proxy
> is better than Oops, but not in cache-access speed. I'm using IPCOP
> Router on a P233MMX-64MB-HD 4GB w/ Squid 2.7 STABLE5, and when i
> choose a disk cache size bigger than 500MB, sometimes when i restart
> the router, the partition where the cache is located need to be fixed
> because there are many file errors, maybe if one-file-objetc-store is
> used, it minimize that problem too.

Both general-purpose Unix file systems and database stores are not
optimized for proxy workloads. However, Squid does have a file store
that uses just one file per store_dir. It is called COSS and you can use
it with Squid 2.7.

To minimize errors on restarts, more work is needed than just using a
single Unix file. Squid3 should have store features in that direction in
the foreseeable future.

HTH,

Alex.