Should we drop the fully qualified server name requirement?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 22:49:54 +0100

Squid has since forever insisted on the local server name to be a fully
qualified hostname. However, in most cases this does not really matter
and is a big headache for less experienced admins.

Is there really any reason to keep this as a strict requirement, or
should we downgrade it to just a logged warning? I vote for turning
this into a warning..