RE: ICAP, bypassing respmod depending reqmod result

From: Moshe Beeri <Moshe.B_at_puresight.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:35:23 +0200

> know
> >> client.
> respmod
> >> at
> bypassing

> > or
> >>
> >> You can add a header to the http request during reqmod processing
eg
> >> allow/deny respmod processing:
> >>
> >> acl AnXIcapHeader req_header X-ICAP-Respmod-Needed False
> >> icap_access class_respmod deny AnXIcapHeader
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Christos
> >>
> > Thanks Christos,
> >
> > Your solution, thought elegant, is not secure since the web server
> might
> > change the parameter and cause unsafe data transfer to client.
> > can I utilize acl to do the same by adding header to ICAP (reqmod)
> > response?
>
> No the web server can not change the parameter:
> - During the ReqMod ICAP request you are modifying the http request
> adding an extra header (the X-ICAP-Respmod-Needed or any other you
> want)
> - Squid will use the modified (by your ICAP server) requests when
> going
> to evaluate the AnXIcapHeader acl. The http server can not modify the
> http request.

Hi Christos,

First I would like to thank you for you response it is really
appreciated.
You are right the web server can not change the request,
but it can utilize the data to trick out filter.
We also would like to keep the changes in the scope between
the Squid and the ICAP server and not "pollutes" the traffic
that goes out to the Internet.

In the worst case scenario we will use your acl solution,
but we prefer to add those capabilities into squid 3.0 source, and to
benefit the community as well.

Regards,
Moshe Beeri.