Re: When can we make Squid using multi-CPU?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:40:58 -0500

2009/1/8 Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>:

> SMP support has been earmarked for Squid v3.2 but there is currently not
> enough resources to make it happen (AFAICT) so it may have to wait until
> v3.3 or later.
>
> FWIW, I think that multi-core scalability in many environments would not
> require another Squid rewrite, especially if initial support does not
> have to do better than running multiple Squids.

Well, people are already doing that where its suitable. Whats really
missing for those sorts of setups is a simple(!) storage-only backend
and some smarts in Squid to be able to push and pull stuff out of a
shared storage backend, rather than relaying through it.

The trouble, as I've found here, is if you're trying to aggregate a
bunch of forward proxy squid instances on one box through one backend
squid instance - all of a sudden you end up with lots of RAM wastage
and things die at high loads with all the duplicate data floating
around in socket buffers. :/

Adrian