Re: When can we make Squid using multi-CPU?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:31:11 -0700

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 10:03 +0800, ShuXin Zheng wrote:
> Hi, Squid current can only use one CPU, but multi-CPU hardware
> machines are so popular. These are so greatly wastely. How can we use
> the multi-CPU? Can we separate some parallel sections which are CPU
> wasting to run on different CPU? OMP(http://openmp.org/wp/) gives us
> some thinking about using multi-CPU, so can we use these technology in
> Squid?

SMP support has been earmarked for Squid v3.2 but there is currently not
enough resources to make it happen (AFAICT) so it may have to wait until
v3.3 or later.

FWIW, I think that multi-core scalability in many environments would not
require another Squid rewrite, especially if initial support does not
have to do better than running multiple Squids.

You can monitor this project progress at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale

Thank you,

Alex.