Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r9573: SourceLayout: acl/, take 1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:31:35 +1200 (NZST)

> On 03/15/2009 01:54 PM, Kinkie wrote:
>
>>> The key question for me right now is how to test this to avoid
>>> committing code that does not link right in some environments. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>
>> Build-farm.
>> The memory for eu has been bought, and will be installed soon. This
>> will allow us to have many x86-based OSes available, hopefully doing a
>> full test-build at each bzr commit.
>
> If some ACL type is not registered with Squid executable, do you think
> test-build would expose the problem, with the current set of tests? I
> doubt it would.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
It will if the unit test uses the self-registering class and is linked to
the convenience library.

You can test your approaches by removing the PokeAllModules() hack for
DiskIO (see DiskIO/modules.sh). It's there to do exactly what you
describe in (2a). Poking the Instance() methods of all modules to make
them link and exist.

The FindDefault() unit-test will fail (returns NULL) if no store-dirs are
linked.

> This lack of runtime testing of registered types is probably the reason
> why I have not noticed the problem reported by Christos even though I
> did run test-build script. I am guessing we need to add test cases that
> test registration.

Yes, probably is. I've only seen DiskIO needing the hack to fix it so far.

Amos