Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r9573: SourceLayout: acl/, take 1

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:35:14 -0600

On 03/15/2009 08:31 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> I don't think that a pure virtual approach will work any
> better because the same not-directly-listed result will occur.

The virtual method should be called directly or indirectly by some
high-level user for the approach to work. Something like name() or
description() may work well for this purpose because it can be called by
the registry on behalf of the high-level user to "describe all
registered things".

Compared to self-registration code, the difference is that, in this
case, the code in the object file is needed by the caller because it
implements a virtual method. The method does not have to be declared
pure, but it helps with forcing classes to define it and get linked.
That is my understanding anyway. If there are no objections, I will
implement and test it.

$0.02,

Alex.