Re: make install in helpers

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:48:01 -0600

On 03/15/2009 05:49 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 03/15/2009 02:07 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>>> There are conceptual problems still with not being able to simply go to
>>> helper directory and 'make install' as long as they need libcompat from
>>> a higher level directory.
>>>
>>> Ideas on how that gets solved are very welcome.
>> Do you mean that "make install" in helpers does not work if libcompat
>> has not been built yet (i.e., "make all" has not been run yet from the
>> root directory)? If yes, it seems to me that this is not something we
>> should try to fix.
>
> That's exactly what I mean.
> I'm of a similar mind. Though I know people sometimes need to build a
> missing helper without overwriting their existing build/install or doing a
> full rebuild.

If helpers need "something" from the rest of Squid, then that
"something" needs to be build first. Once that "something" is built,
"make install" in helpers should work. Running "make install" for
helpers should not overwrite "something" or require rebuilding the
existing "something". The dependency points in the opposite direction.

> Just off the top of my head; a --helpers-only option to build the helpers
> and libraries they depend on. Specifying the helpers as normal in their
> --enable-X-helpers=... options would get around this without being too
> much of a hack.

In general, I think it would be too ugly to (a) track the dependencies
between helpers and libraries the helpers depend on and (b) making sure
those libraries can be built in isolation from the normal build process.

And, if it is not that ugly today, then those folks that need the
helpers-only feature, can simply run "make" with the right targets, in
the right directories without us supporting a general --helpers-only
option (which would by difficult to remove once added):

    make -C i-know-this-dir-is-needed1 i-know-this-lib-is-needed1.la &&
    make -C i-know-this-dir-is-needed2 i-know-this-lib-is-needed2.la &&
    make -C my-helpers all && sudo make -C helpers install

Cheers,

Alex.