Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r9575: Do not redefine max(). compat/compat_shared.h:135 is the location of the

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:08:12 +1300

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> sön 2009-03-15 klockan 21:07 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
>> Um, IMO these helper redefinitions we do not need.
>> There are conceptual problems still with not being able to simply go to
>> helper directory and 'make install' as long as they need libcompat from
>> a higher level directory.
>
> Always been like that. Don't see why it's a problem. Many helpers
> already depend on libmiscutil.
>
> To reinstall only a single helper the standard procedure is:
>
> make all
> cd helpsers/.../...
> make install
>
> For a faster build you can
> make -C lib
> make -C compat
> make -C helper/.../...
> make -C helper/.../... install

Okay, with both Alex and Henriks assurance that its not a problem to
care about ....

If anyone sees duplicate code provided *anywhere* in squid which is also
provided exactly as-is by the libcompat, please remove the duplicate
outside libcompat (that includes #include <xxx> statements).
If its only similarly duplicate check carefully if the user can use the
'standard' libcompat version instead.

> One question on this however.. why is compat placed outside lib? What
> makes compat different from lib? A lot of what is found in lib is either
> just OS glue or independent of Squid in general.

compat is outside lib because lib is only being partially migrated into
compat.

The rest of lib which isn't glue is planned for migrated to contrib or
somesuch at a later date. Having compat separate keeps the boundaries
cleaner at this early stage of migration and lets us keep libmisc until
its fully cleaned out.

Also, libmisc has a C-interface while libcompat is C++ interface. My
next update to libcompat is seeing a bunch of helpers convert to build
with C++.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6