Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r9573: SourceLayout: acl/, take 1

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:57:29 -0600

On 03/16/2009 05:28 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> mån 2009-03-16 klockan 10:49 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:
>
>> One potential problem I am investigating is that convenience libraries
>> that are linked with executables behave differently from same
>> convenience libraries linked with other libraries.
>
> What do you mean?

libtool uses -whole-archive when adding a convenience library to a
shared library but does not use that option when adding a convenience
library to an executable. There are more caveats depending on whether
the convenience library is "regular" or "static" (search "info libtool"
for -static).

I was encouraged by the following wording in libtool documentation:

"When you link a program with a [static convenience] library, libtool
will actually link all object files and dependency libraries into the
program."

Unfortunately, in my tests, the above does not mean that all objects get
linked. It is possible that I did not test this right, of course.

Cheers,

Alex.