Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r9573: SourceLayout: acl/, take 1

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:01:52 -0600

Hello,

    I have committed a temporary fix for the problem. Here is the commit
message:

Fixed the problem with Squid executable missing code to process ACLs.
The solution will probably be replaced by a better one eventually.

Background:

Squid uses a "registry pattern" to register parsing and matching code
specific to most ACL types. The registration happens in acl/libacls
convenience library. The rest of Squid does not know about specific ACL
types; it only has access to a registry of pointers to what looks like
generic ACL objects. When Squid executable is linked, most object files
containing specific ACL types are dropped (i.e., ignored) by the linker
because they do not satisfy any unresolved symbols and, hence, deemed
unnecessary.

ACL object files were not missing when Squid executable was built using
explicit ACL object files names because the linker treats those
differently than object files in a convenience library -- it includes
them whole.

Attempts to find a fix:

My attempts to link with a static convenience library (libtool's -static
option when defining the library) were not successful: the end result is
the same. The static and regular convenience libraries appear to be
different, but the linker, apparently, troughs out "unnecessary" symbols
from both.

My attempts to pass -whole-archive to the linker were not successful:
libtool would reorder the arguments when calling the actual linker,
resulting in the wrong parameter order. I did protect -Wl,-whole-archive
and friends with AC_SUBST() and tried a few different versions of that
protection, but was not successful. It is possible that I just did not
find the right trick to make it work. However, -whole-archive is not
portable so it would not be an ideal solution anyway.

The fix:

I have moved registration code from src/acl/* sources into a
src/AclRegs.cc file, making the latter the source file for Squid
executable. With this change, Squid knows about specific ACL types
(because they are needed by the registration code) and the corresponding
ACL classes get linked.

A similar solution is currently used for DiskIO modules, except there
the "pull everything in" source file (DiskIO/DiskIOModules_gen.cc) is
generated. We may end up generating AclRegs.cc as well, but there does
not seem to be a particular advantage of adding that level of complexity.

Future:

A few options are available:

a) Find flaws in the above attempts to convince libtool to do the right
thing and fix the problem using libtool parameters alone.

b) Wait for libtool to support the kind of convenience library that we
need (the one that does -whole-archive when building an executable).

c) Add some kind of Acl::ModuleInit() global that Squid would call to
register known ACL types. AclRegs.cc code can be moved to acl/* sources
then.

HTH,

Alex.