FYI: rewritten HTTP caching section

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:46:55 -0700

As you all hopefully know, the IETF HTTPbis WG is in the process of re-
writing HTTP to clarify it, address interop issues, and generally
increase specification quality.

One of the first things we did was breaking up the document into seven
separate sections, listed at:
   http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/

Recently, we did a substantial re-write of part 6 -- caching -- to
improve its readability and reduce the number of conflicts (since
several requirements were stated multiple times).

You can see this work at:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache-06
the previous version being at (for reference; this should be
essentially equivalent to RFC2616):
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache-05

We'd very much like feedback from cache implementers (you). To be
clear, the intent of this effort is that no existing, conformant
implementation should become non-conformant, so we're particularly
interested if you feel this is the case.

Note that the rewrite is not yet complete; in particular, there are a
number of notes interspersed in the spec outlining remaining work.

See also:
   http://www.w3.org/mid/250DB66E-111E-4B2E-AD30-3D9EC49EE1AD@mnot.net

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com