Re: New features in Squid CIFS caching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 17:40:32 +1200

Jorge Novo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Jorge I am not subscribed to the list cos actually I am
> not a developer. I would be.
>
> I have a little question: is it possible to use Squid for caching
> another kind of traffic?
>
> I am using BlueCoat ProxySG. http://www.bluecoat.com/
>
> [quote]
> Control — Proxy Services
> Proxy support for multiple protocols
> -> HTTP, CIFS, SSL, FTP, MAPI, P2P, MMS, RTSP, QuickTime, TCP-Tunnel, DNS
> -> Bandwidth management on all proxy services
> -> SSL Termination & Proxy (forward and reverse)
> -> Control encrypted traffic for all users and applications inside and
> outside the enterprise
> [/quote]
>

> This product caches and compress CIFS and several other protocols.
>
> Could be a new feature in next versions of Squid

I doubt it.

CIFS is 11 years expired. Very complicated, and not relevant to HTTP.
It's a file system which Windows and Samba wrap nicely into other forms
which Squid can use already so no need to add this muddle of obsolete
mess to Squid.

http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/rfc-draft/draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-02.txt

I suspect BC support it as part of their router/firewall features. I've
heard of their WebGate using Squid so it's not in there.

MMS, RTSP, Torrent, and ONION have better chances of getting into Squid
anytime soon.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1