Re: New features in Squid CIFS caching

From: Markus Moeller <huaraz_at_moeller.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:37:10 +0100

That sounds more like WAN optimisation than proxying.

Markus

"Jorge Novo" <jnovonj_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
2009/5/30 Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
> Jorge Novo wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Jorge I am not subscribed to the list cos actually I am
>> not a developer. I would be.
>>
>> I have a little question: is it possible to use Squid for caching
>> another kind of traffic?
>>
>> I am using BlueCoat ProxySG. http://www.bluecoat.com/
>>
>> [quote]
>> Control — Proxy Services
>> Proxy support for multiple protocols
>> -> HTTP, CIFS, SSL, FTP, MAPI, P2P, MMS, RTSP, QuickTime, TCP-Tunnel, DNS
>> -> Bandwidth management on all proxy services
>> -> SSL Termination & Proxy (forward and reverse)
>> -> Control encrypted traffic for all users and applications inside and
>> outside the enterprise
>> [/quote]
>>

>> This product caches and compress CIFS and several other protocols.
>>
>> Could be a new feature in next versions of Squid
>>

> I doubt it.
>
> CIFS is 11 years expired. Very complicated, and not relevant to HTTP. It's
> file system which Windows and Samba wrap nicely into other forms which
> Squid
> can use already so no need to add this muddle of obsolete mess to Squid.
When I said CIFS, I mean Windows Network Files System (Samba indeed )

I told it was CIFS, cos in BlueCoat configuration

BlueCoat caches Windows resources in a VPN or private WAN environment

It's really a usefull caches this kind or trafic

> I suspect BC support it as part of their router/firewall features. I've
> heard of their WebGate using Squid so it's not in there.

Not It is caching and also compressing between two BlueCoat Proxy SG
apliance.