Re: Hello from Mozilla

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 04:37:46 +0200

fre 2009-07-17 klockan 00:28 +0000 skrev Ian Hickson:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> >
> > Realise that server-side infrastructure often includes things like CDNs
> > (even when the content is uncacheable), reverse proxies and L7 load
> > balancers -- all of which can make the changes we're talking about.
> >
> > While it's true that these things are under control of the people who
> > own the server, changing them is *much* harder than deploying an Apache
> > module.
>
> People with that level of complexity can easily just not share the port.

People with that level of complexity often have many layers to deal
with, and still want as simple as possible configurations. It's exactly
those environments who are the most interested in sharing the port as
not sharing the port increases the infrastructure configuration
requirements tenfold or more, needing to touch firewalls, load balancers
etc to add the port, often crossing several administrative boundaries
and many different pieces of equipment.

Those with a simple environment with just one single server directly
connected to the net with a public IP is those who most easily can use
dedicated ports.