Re: memPool unaccounted

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:42:11 +0200

lör 2009-08-15 klockan 00:42 +0200 skrev Stephen R. van den Berg:
> I recently started using squid again after a very long time.

Welcome back!

> Checking the memory usage I see:
>
> Memory accounted for:
> Total accounted: 1850 KB 6%
> memPool accounted: 1850 KB 6%
> memPool unaccounted: 28433 KB 94%
> memPoolAlloc calls: 1447
> memPoolFree calls: 386
>
> I seem to recall that back in the days (2000-2003-ish) the unaccounted
> memPool numbers weren't *that* high. Any idea what is using up all this
> memory and/or if it can be reduced with some runtime-config options?

It's a fairly new statistics item, added with the chunked mempool
allocator in 2002.

It's the relation of estimated process size minus mempool allocations
accounted for. Estimated process size is reported a little above in the
mallinfo section.

Not at all sure how much or how correct the estimated process size is.
mallinfo which it's based on is broken in many ways..