Re: memPool unaccounted

From: Stephen R. van den Berg <srb_at_cuci.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:19:38 +0200

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 14:42, Henrik
Nordstrom<henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> lör 2009-08-15 klockan 00:42 +0200 skrev Stephen R. van den Berg:
>> Checking the memory usage I see:
>>
>> Memory accounted for:
>>       Total accounted:         1850 KB   6%
>>       memPool accounted:       1850 KB   6%
>>       memPool unaccounted:    28433 KB  94%
>>       memPoolAlloc calls:      1447
>>       memPoolFree calls:        386
>>
>> I seem to recall that back in the days (2000-2003-ish) the unaccounted
>> memPool numbers weren't *that* high.  Any idea what is using up all this
>> memory and/or if it can be reduced with some runtime-config options?

> It's a fairly new statistics item, added with the chunked mempool
> allocator in 2002.

That was while I still did active development (memory optimisation has
always been a pet peeve of mine), so I'm comparing apples with apples
here.

> It's the relation of estimated process size minus mempool allocations
> accounted for. Estimated process size is reported a little above in the
> mallinfo section.

> Not at all sure how much or how correct the estimated process size is.
> mallinfo which it's based on is broken in many ways..

Well, let's put it this way: Linux says (I checked) that the RSS
(Resident Set Size) is around 18MB. This seems a bit wasteful for
something that is just sitting idle with a minimal memory cache and no
disk cache. So maybe mallinfo is exaggerating it slightly, I'm
expecting an RSS of around 4MB when I see an accounted mempool usage
of 1.85MB.

--
Sincerely,
                Stephen R. van den Berg.