Re: adding content to the cache -- a revisit

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:18:20 +0200

mån 2009-10-12 klockan 07:57 -0600 skrev bergenpeak_at_comcast.net:

> The content I'm trying to manually install into the squid server will be
> a subset of the origin server content, so for objects not manually
> installed into squid, squid will still need to go directly back to the
> origin server.

What you need is

a) A HTTP server on the Squid server capable of serving the objects
using HTTP, preverably with as identical properties as possible as the
origin. This includes at least properties such as ETag, Content-Type,
Content-Language, Content-Encoding and Last-Modified.

b) wget, squidclient or another simple HTTP client capable of requesting
URLs from the proxy.

c) cache_peer line telling Squid that this local http server exists

d) A unique http_port bound on the loopback interface, only used for
this purpose (simplifies next step)

e) cache_peer_access + never_direct rules telling Squid to fetch content
requested from the unique port defined in 'd' from the peer defined in
'c' and only then..