Re: compute swap_file_sz before packing it

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:01:54 +0100

tis 2009-10-27 klockan 15:23 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> Is not that always the case? Even if a store refuses to accept objects
> larger than X KB, that does not mean that all objects will be X KB in
> size, regardless of any reasonable X value. Or did you mean something
> else by "unbounded"?

There is two kinds of swapouts related to this

a) Size-bounded, where objects are known to be of a certain size.

b) Size not known at start of swapout. Impossible to record the size in
headers.

When there is at least one cache_dir with a size restriction we buffer
objects of type 'b' before swapout in case it's small enough to actaully
fit in the cache_dir policy even if size initially unknown.

> Technically, core does not know the true content size for some responses
> until the response has been received, but I do not remember whether we
> allow such responses to be cachable.

We do. It's a quite common response form.