Re: Stress testing.

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:01:23 -0700

On 01/28/2010 06:27 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> I have today managed to negotiate some hands-on time with a box that
> runs Debian vanilla kernel and can pump 9.8G bytes/sec of traffic. It
> runs on 2x Xeon cores with 36GB RAM. No disk worth mentioning.
>
> All we need is to:
> - provide .deb builds of Squid for install (done).
> - have something to generate the load (server and client)
> - get testing done before the box needs to be put into production
> "sometime".
>
> I thought web polygraph. Provided I can also negotiate access to a
> cluster of load machines to run the load. And figure out the test
> setup/config.

Hi Amos,

    I can help with the testing part using Web Polygraph. Ideally, we
will need ssh access to test drones and sudo. Root access is not
essential if somebody else can tune the drones for us. I would start
with two drones (one client and one server) and add pairs if Squid can
proxy more traffic than two drones can produce.

Do you want the test to use domain names? If yes, it would be nice to
have a box to run BIND but we can also install BIND on the server drone
if needed. The names will be in the non-existent .tst zone or somesuch.

It would be nice to know the purpose of the tests so that we can adjust
the workloads accordingly. If you have any information about expected
live traffic characteristics, please share that info.

If you want to proceed with this, please contact me off list with the
details.

HTH,

Alex.