Re: I need your help for my DESSERTATION (ME - Computer Engineering)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:00:10 +1300

Dhaval Varia wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am Doing my *research In SQUID proxy* as a part of my post graduation*
> (Master of Engineering)
> *Just started.but dont have a specific direction so i can move ahed.
>
> *I need your help in following confusions :-
> *
> 1. What topic / Module (In Squid) i choose to start my research work ?
> 2. Where do I understand the module.
> 3. what initially i have to do? to start my work?
>
> *Please sir,I will be greatful for your help.*
>
> Thanks & Best Regards.

Did you have any ideas about what sort of thing you would be most
interested in?

The current developer focus for this year is (mostly) on preparing Squid
3.2 for better traffic scaling via SMP CPU support. Our planned
architecture so far is described here:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale

With Squid becoming multi-instance the most urgent project I'm looking
for someone to create a daemon for reliable logging of data from N squid
instances simultaneously to one log file.

This daemon needs to open its own configurable socket for accepting
connection requests from various Squid instances.
  On receiving a request it needs to receive the unique hostname from
the Squid connecting and store it for optional configured pre-pending to
every log line received via that TCP link.
  It needs to cope cleanly with sockets opening and closing at any time.
Logging of many thousands of requests per second, ideally a minimum
10,000/sec per connected Squid instance. Maybe ignore the in-channel log
rotate commands but rotate whenever the logs reaches a configurable size.

A module internal to Squid will also need to be created to use the new
helper. Derived from the src/log/ModUdp.* daemon but using TCP logging
and setup as well. Possibly to a daemon running on a remote machine.

Deadline would be mid-year 2010 for something testable. End of year for
something hopefuly able to be committed for use.

Interested?

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.16