Re: SMP: process-specific options

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:09:19 +0100

mån 2010-02-22 klockan 20:38 -0700 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> For logs, can we just use O_APPEND and have each process write to the
> logs as we do now?

I would funnel the logs all via the same log_daemon..

but I guess O_APPEND would work out reasonably well, but it's a high
likelyhood that one want's to do something more elaborate with the logs
in a setup needing SMP in the first place..

> Log rotation will probably need special care to avoid rotating the same
> log many times. It is relatively easy to designate one process to do the
> rotation (e.g., squid1), but that alone is not enough to synchronize
> everything. Ideally, I would prefer to avoid locking. Any clever tricks
> applicable here?

We never had very synchronized log rotation. It's always been "fire off
a singnal and try to guess when rotation have finished", with some data
trickling into cache.log from helpers quite long after it's been
rotated.