Re: SMP: process-specific options

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:45:33 -0700

On 02/23/2010 12:09 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> mån 2010-02-22 klockan 20:38 -0700 skrev Alex Rousskov:
>
>> For logs, can we just use O_APPEND and have each process write to the
>> logs as we do now?
>
> I would funnel the logs all via the same log_daemon..
>
> but I guess O_APPEND would work out reasonably well, but it's a high
> likelyhood that one want's to do something more elaborate with the logs
> in a setup needing SMP in the first place..

Actually, in my experience, many folks that want SMP disable transaction
logging completely. For them, we just need to support cache.log :-).

I agree that many would want to do something more elaborate, but most do
not have the time to do more, and so will be happy with just the basic
logging working as long as it is fast.

For others, there is probably no performance advantage in using a
logging daemon. There is certainly an architectural advantage in
isolating as much logging logic as possible. In fact, I think this is
the biggest daemon advantage overall (which I should have listed).

Thank you,

Alex.