Re: Squid forced advertisement

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 21:25:41 -0600

On 05/03/2010 08:02 AM, spank3h wrote:

> looking for abit of advise really....
> my project in hand is to have a given hotspot (which is already live) but
> when users browse the internet to have forced adverts on there browser. I
> understand that they have to be pushed through a proxy so i set up squid on
> a server based in the UK now wondering if anyone has heard of this before or
> might be able to give me some sort of advise on how to progress further with
> this challenge!?

If you want injected advertisements share the page with the original
content (e.g., a thin ad bar on top of the page), you will need to use
ICAP or eCAP to modify "pages" on the fly. It is difficult to do
correctly, writing code is required, and you will annoy both users and
content owners, but it can be done in most cases.

If you want injected advertisements to suspend (or even cancel) the
delivery of the original content, then you can use redirectors, ICAP,
eCAP, and possibly other tricks. This application becomes similar to the
initial proxy login page then, except the page is annoying and appears
more often. You may be able to find and adjust existing solutions
without writing [a lot of] code.

HTH,

Alex.