Re: Joining squid-dev List

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:12:25 +1000

Hi,

I'm looking at the same issue in Squid 2.HEAD (fortuitously, one of my users complained about this at the same time).

It seems like the root of this (at least in 2) is in neighbors.c's peerAllowedToUse(), which tests request->flags.need_validation.

clientCacheHit's refreshcheck block sets it with this comment:

        /*
         * We hold a stale copy; it needs to be validated
         */
        /*
         * The 'need_validation' flag is used to prevent forwarding
         * loops between siblings. If our copy of the object is stale,
         * then we should probably only use parents for the validation
         * request. Otherwise two siblings could generate a loop if
         * both have a stale version of the object.
         */
        r->flags.need_validation = 1;

Is the code in Squid3 roughly the same?

I'm tempted to get rid of the need_validation flag, as there are other ways that Squid does loop suppression (e.g., only-if-cached on peer requests, icp_stale_hit). What do people think of this? Is this howyou addressed it.

Also, I'm mostly interested in the HTCP case, where I *believe* that there's enough information sent in the request to avoid a forwarding loop, as long as their refresh_patterns are the same.

As an aside to the Squid devs -- I was somewhat surprised to see the HTCP refreshCheck being done on the HTCP server side, rather than the client side; wouldn't it be better to have the freshness decision made where it's going to be applied?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot_at_yahoo-inc.com