Re: Joining squid-dev List

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:33:35 +0200

tis 2010-05-18 klockan 15:12 +1000 skrev Mark Nottingham:

> /*
> * The 'need_validation' flag is used to prevent forwarding
> * loops between siblings. If our copy of the object is stale,
> * then we should probably only use parents for the validation
> * request. Otherwise two siblings could generate a loop if
> * both have a stale version of the object.
> */
> r->flags.need_validation = 1;
>
> Is the code in Squid3 roughly the same?

Should be.

> I'm tempted to get rid of the need_validation flag, as there are other
> ways that Squid does loop suppression (e.g., only-if-cached on peer
> requests, icp_stale_hit). What do people think of this? Is this howyou
> addressed it.

Don't get rid of the flag, but an option to not skip siblings based on
it unless the sibling is configured with allow-miss
(peer->options.allow_miss) is fine.

When using ICP or Digests forwarding loop conditions is quite common,
triggered by clients sending their own freshness requirements or slight
difference in configuration between the siblings.