Re: autoconf-refactor and netfilter-based transparent proxy

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 19:47:55 +0200

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 05/21/2010 06:43 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>
>> To avoid risking this to happen again, i'll do more frequent interim
>> merges while using trunk to baseline the output.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> I do not really know what you mean. If you are comfortable with your
> changes, post your changes for review, and nobody objects to a commit,
> you should commit your changes to trunk.
>
> IMO, we should not post and commit half-baked or poorly-scoped parts of
> a bigger project because they would be difficult to review without
> proper context. Reviewing large, complex changes is also difficult but I
> would still prefer to review and commit self-contained changes.

As the autoconf-refactor should imply little or no visible changes,
the idea is to simply use a consistent baseline: trunk. Diffing
include/autoconf.h and the output of the configure script should be
enough ensure that the objective is met, but not if they diverge too
much.

This is, at least, the plan. The purpose is for this to remain a
refactoring branch: all merges will have to be able to build, no
question about it. I agree with getting a consensus before merging
anything with user-visible impact (such as the changes to the
authentication helpers build options). I don't expect the merges to be
too frequent, maybe once a week or so.

If you prefer to have a voting for all merges, it's also OK but may
slow things down somewhat.

Ciao!

--
    /kinkie