Re: food for thought?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:59:52 +0000

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:45:00 +1200, Robert Collins
<robertc_at_robertcollins.net> wrote:
> Well its written in an entertaining and a little condescending style.
> The class of algorithmic analysis that is relevant is 'cache oblivious
> algorithms' and is a hot topic at the moment.
>
> Well worth reading and thinking about.
>
> -Rob

Aye, with a fair bit of the FUD mixed in as well. The first adopters were
facing Squid-2.5, which is at best 50% slower than the current Squid.

There is one line he uses which is quite telling: "Once created, objects
are often cached for weeks if not months, and therefore the binary heap may
not be updated even once per minute; on some sites not even once per hour."

This is not the behaviour we see in regular Squid installs. Where >60% of
objects are created one second, expired the next. The first step towards
making a cache as fast as that is to remove the Squid insistence that
everything gets passed through Store. Outright blocking the non-cacheable
objects from going near store would probably be best.

If you recall this a 4-way b-heap is essentially what we were discussing
for a chunked memory replacement algorithm before deciding to drop chunking
and let the VM do the work with its probably better implementation instead.

Amos