Re: food for thought?

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:30:35 +0200

ons 2010-06-16 klockan 00:36 +0200 skrev Kinkie:
> What's your guys opinion about this article?
> It deals with some specific algorithms Varnish uses to increase
> performance to account for the fact that it's running under a
> real-world VM.

Yes.. quite expected result actually. Similar benefits can be seen at
the smaller scale in properly utilizing CPU cache lines and cache
prediction.

> Maybe there are some hints we could use..

Useful, but not revolutionary.

But yes, a VM based store has it's benefits, but for that to work for us
a different design is needed more along the lines of Varnish, making
heavy use of worker threads for mostly every operation, not just one per
core.