Re: [MERGE] Rename enable-linux-netfilter to enable-nf-transparent

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 23:56:30 +0100

> I'm not sure its fully worth doing this.
>
> * the "transparent" options are all due for a naming upgrade or
> removal in the next major release anyway.

Okay, I'm happy to leave as is. However, I would still suggest a review
of the naming in the upgrade (see below).

> * linux-netfilter in fact enables both NAT (intercept) and TPROXY
> (transparent) capture methods. And is documented so far as applying to
> all supported netfilter targets. So naming for one specific of the two
> (or three now that MARK is being added) is not reducing the confusion.

Correct, I overlooked the NAT aspect, so probably best leaving it for
the time being.

I've added the configure option --with-netfilter-conntrack for the MARK
patch, but maybe to make things clearer the options should be more like:

--with-linux-netfilter

and

--with-linux-netfilter-conntrack

This makes it a bit clearer that the two are related but separate.
Thoughts?

[[ Sorry, I'm still not on this mailing list and thus unable to reply to
list emails. I've tried to subscribe twice in the last fortnight and
have also emailed squid-dev-owner_at_squid-cache.org, all with no luck.
Could somebody add me please? In the interim, please copy me on posts,
as I am currently using the web archives. ]]

Thanks,

Andy