Re: autoconf-refactor done

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 16:30:32 +0200

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> Kinkie wrote:
[...]
> I've taken a quick look over it:
Thanks!

> * The copy on LP still appears to need the trunk merge done.

Done now, in r10272

> * --disable-strict-error-checking should use SQUID_YESNO([$enableval]
Done

> * --with-logdir documentation expansion still is not working.
>  can you make it say a hard-coded "Default: PREFIX/var/logs" please?
Done

> * documentation on --with-pidfile needs upper case D on default: as well.
Done

> *  I think CACHE_HTTP_PORT and CACHE_ICP_PORT if statements can be replaced
> with the AC_DEFINE(CACHE_HTTP_PORT,${CACHE_HTTP_PORT:=3128}) syntax.
>   - Although I have doubts about whether we really need to have them in
> configure any more. The ports are defacto standards and changing on build
> only really effects the documentation, squidclient and cachemgr default
> ports not Squid itself.
They are actually never configured; they could be set via environment
variables but I doubt anyone has done that in years.. I've just
removed handling them in configure.in and moved as #defines in
config.h

> * AS_HELP tring for --disable-optimizations
>     s/also enabled --disable-inline/also sets --disable-inline/
Done

> * can you wrap in this gratuitous typo fix please?
>  "BSD dont include the depenencies"   -> dependencies.
Done

> * can check for mtyp_t be moved up with the other type checks?
Done

> * the after CHECK_LIB(gnumalloc "esac" and "fi" are both indented too far.
Fixed

> * s/force-enbable/force-enable/ ... "on old solaris and nextstep"
Done

> * SQUID_CHECK_RESOLVER_FIELDS is only needed if --disable-internal-dns
Done. Same applies to other libresolv stuff.

>  I think the update from u_int* to uint* should have been left to another
> patch. But too late now.
It helped clean configure.in up a lot; that was the driver. Squid
builds, and type errors are pretty easy to catch.

> Now that configure is refactored on to Makefile.am ;P
Are you kidding? No way I am getting into that mess. I'd rather move
the whole project off autotools and onto some alternative portability
platform.

I can check into them. I agree that r10272 is a good merge candidate;
it seems stable.

> The following are optional and should be left until after your current
> refactor is committed. I'm just noting some followup steps that would be
> worth looking at.
>
>  * uniform used of ENABLE_FOO for all AC_CONDITIONAL macros
>
>  * the complication setting $ECAP_LIBS to ecap/libecap.la can be replaced by
> the automake "if USE_ECAP" conditional to build and link the ecap subdir
> library in src/adaptation/Makefile.am instead of configure.
>
>  * same for $ICAP_LIBS.
>
>  * wrapping of the auth libraries build+link in the ENABLE_AUTH_*
>
>  * I don't recall why ipcache defines _dns_ttl_. We will have to look
> towards removing it. Which will make SQUID_CHECK_LIBRESOLV_DNS_TTL_HACK only
> be needed for --disable-internal-dns as well.
Already done; test-suite works.

--
    /kinkie