Re: Patch to add netfilter mark support

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 15:55:52 -0600

On 09/06/2010 03:08 PM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> Thanks for the (very) prompt response (I'm impressed). Replies to other
> comments to follow; in the meantime...
>
>> * I find the terminology inconsistent and confusing: outgoing,
>> clientside, upstream. No wonder you have to explain the difference
>> twice. Unless these are all standard RFC-like terms, please use
>> something consistent like fromClient, toClient, fromServer, toServer.
>> Others may suggest a better scheme, but this one at least does not
>> require constant doc lookups to understand where "out" and "up" is.
>
> Agreed. This confusion is also present in the names of the configuration
> parameters: initially I found the current ones confusing (it took me a
> while to realise that one was server side and one client side).
>
> At the minute they are tcp_outgoing_tos and clientside_tos. Would there
> be any objection to changing the tcp_outgoing_tos to serverside_tos? Or
> would you prefer not to break existing squid.conf configurations?

IMHO, both: Change the documented/primary option names but accept the
old ones with a "deprecated" warning. There may even be a built-in
mechanism for that (multiple NAME values?), but I am not sure.

You probably want to wait for others to comment before changing
squid.conf option names though.

Thank you,

Alex.