Re: Patch to add netfilter mark support

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 23:06:36 +0100

> >> * I find the terminology inconsistent and confusing: outgoing,
> >> clientside, upstream. No wonder you have to explain the difference
> >> twice. Unless these are all standard RFC-like terms, please use
> >> something consistent like fromClient, toClient, fromServer, toServer.
> >> Others may suggest a better scheme, but this one at least does not
> >> require constant doc lookups to understand where "out" and "up" is.
> >
> > Agreed. This confusion is also present in the names of the configuration
> > parameters: initially I found the current ones confusing (it took me a
> > while to realise that one was server side and one client side).
> >
> > At the minute they are tcp_outgoing_tos and clientside_tos. Would there
> > be any objection to changing the tcp_outgoing_tos to serverside_tos? Or
> > would you prefer not to break existing squid.conf configurations?
>
> IMHO, both: Change the documented/primary option names but accept the
> old ones with a "deprecated" warning. There may even be a built-in
> mechanism for that (multiple NAME values?), but I am not sure.

Ah yes, you can specify multiple NAME values. Funnily enough, this is
already the case for tcp_outgoing_tos, which is also known as
tcp_outgoing_ds and tcp_outgoing_dscp. The disadvantage of this is that
it doesn't display a deprecated warning.

> You probably want to wait for others to comment before changing
> squid.conf option names though.

How about I change the "default" name to serverside_tos, and leave
tcp_outgoing_tos with tcp_outgoing_ds and tcp_outgoing_dscp as an
accepted name?

Andy