Re: Long time user, first time developer!

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:26:23 +0100

Hi Scott,

> Anyway, joining this list because I am scoping a project which involves
> implementing a captive portal to manage Internet access for unknown
> users (the general public) for a "free wifi" hotspot.
>
> I realise I'm not the first person to set up a captive portal for a free
> wifi hotspot, and it's easily achievable using other products that
> already exist (they're probably using Squid themselves) but the
> requirements we have stretch the boundaries of the other products, hence
> the need to develop with Squid first hand.

As you're probably already aware, Squid has a built-in landing page
functionality:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Portal/Splash

However, you might also like to know that I was in a similar situation
to you a while ago, where I couldn't find a captive portal system to do
exactly what I wanted. I therefore just implemented my own using
iptables rules and PHP scripts, all detailed at:

http://www.andybev.com/index.php/Using_iptables_and_PHP_to_create_a_captive_portal

I look forward to hear more about your actual requirements.

Regards,

Andy