Re: REWRITE directive

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 01:09:22 +1300

On 28/09/10 12:24, Miguel Castellanos wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I noticed that the rewrite directive was only supported in 2.0HEAD.
>
> Is there any plan to support in future 3.X releases ?
>
> I really missed it L, external redirect programs are not good for high
> performance servers.
>
> I understand that proxies are not supposed to rewrite URLs, however when
> running an accelerator you have full control of your web site, so this kind
> of feature is valid in that kind of environment.
>
> My main problem is to redirect mobile users to an special web site, so as
> the "rewrite" directive is not available, I have to implement that redirect
> directly on our web servers which are under heavy load.
>
> It would be very nice to be able to redirect them using the configuration
> proposed here:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/rewrite/
>
> As I said external programs to handle this, is not an useful solution for me
> because of performance issues.

I implemented a form of this with the deny_info directive in 3.2. It has
been updated to take the error page % codes and template the destination
URL wit ha proper HTTP 3xx redirect (which is allowed and safer than
simple re-writing).
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CustomErrors

I plan on getting the stand-alone directive port of rewrite redone some
time after 3.2 is out.

Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.2