Re: Sharing DNS cache among Squid workers

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:20:08 +1300

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 01/13/2011 02:18 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Have you considered just having a caching-only local DNS server
>> colocated on the same machine?
>
> I am sure that would be an appropriate solution in some environments. On
> the other hand, sometimes the box has no capacity for another server.
> Sometimes the traffic from 8-16 Squids can be too much for a single DNS
> server to handle. And sometimes administration/policy issues would
> prevent using external caching DNS servers on the Squid box.

This surprises me - surely the CPU load for a dedicated caching DNS
server is equivalent to the CPU load for squid maintaining a DNS cache
itself; and DNS servers are also multithreaded?

Anyhow, I've no particular objection to it being in the code base, but
it does seem like something we'd get better results by not doing (or
having a defined IPC mechanism to a single (possibly multi-core) cache
process which isn't a 'squid'. [Even if it is compiled in the squid
tree].

-Rob