Re: Sharing DNS cache among Squid workers

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:03:52 -0700

On 01/13/2011 03:20 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Alex Rousskov
> <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
>> On 01/13/2011 02:18 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> Have you considered just having a caching-only local DNS server
>>> colocated on the same machine?
>>
>> I am sure that would be an appropriate solution in some environments. On
>> the other hand, sometimes the box has no capacity for another server.
>> Sometimes the traffic from 8-16 Squids can be too much for a single DNS
>> server to handle. And sometimes administration/policy issues would
>> prevent using external caching DNS servers on the Squid box.
>
> This surprises me - surely the CPU load for a dedicated caching DNS
> server is equivalent to the CPU load for squid maintaining a DNS cache
> itself; and DNS servers are also multithreaded?

A general-purpose caching DNS server usually does more than Squid does,
so I would not be surprised if it uses more CPU cycles. And even if a
super-optimized DNS server is fast enough, administration/policy issues
may still prevent it from being installed on Squid boxes.

And FWIW, BIND multi-threading is rather poor. I am sure there are
faster servers out there, but the "most popular" one may not work as
fast as the DNS server component of SMP Squid.

Thank you,

Alex.